The global hair care industry was estimated at 80.81 billion US dollars in 2020 and is expected to reach 134.30 billion US dollars in 2028. The demand for natural and organic hair care products especially among millennials is on the rise.
However, people with coily and kinky textured hair are finding it difficult to get products that suit their hair needs and do not contain harmful chemicals and synthetic substances.
Hair styling products that keep the hair moisturised and shiny while keeping frizz at bay can be a headache to find for people with textured hair.
One of the most versatile hair styling products for black women and men is – pomade.
Pomade has always been a very popular hair care product for curly and afro-textured hair.
What is pomade
It is a French word that means ointment before turning into a hairstyling product.. Pomade has been around for as far back as the 19th century but became more popular in the 1950s.
Pomade can be water-based, oil-based, clay-based, wax-based and gel-based. In the black community, pomade is sometimes referred to as grease and mostly contains lanolin, mineral oil, petroleum jelly, petrolatum, paraffin wax and other synthetic ingredients that clog the follicles in the long run. Moreover these pomades were packed with perfumes and colorants that irritated the skin and caused allergies in sensitive people.
Nowadays consumers are much more aware of ingredients that affect their health and are wiser in choosing their hair care products.
Pomades today are rich in emollients such as shea butter, cocoa butter, mango butter, cupuacu, murumuru butter, avocado butter and more and contain essential oils such as peppermint, rosemary, eucalyptus, lavender which are proven to grow hair. These essential oils are coupled with carrier oils such as olive, jojoba, avocado, sesame, castor oil and Ayurvedic herbs such as Amla, Brahmi, neem, Bhringraj to nourish and strengthen the hair. Pomades also contain waxes for hold, moisture and to protect the hair from environmental factors. Consumers can choose their pomades that based on the fact that the product contain natural, organic and vegan ingredients.
What are the benefits
Pomades have acquired a negative reputation because they were formulated with heavy and unnatural ingredients. However, they have several benefits as they offer excellent control when it comes to styling the hair and holding a style in place (braids, twists, buns, ponytails, etc.). Some stylists use it to help straighten curly and/or kinky hair.
- Adds texture, lift & control You can choose your pomade depending on the hold you need: Medium to strong hold
- Keeps hair moisturized by locking moisture into the hair
- Stops breakage
- Relieves dry and itchy scalp
- Repair split ends
- Adds definition and shine to your every style
- Prevents frizz (which can be a nightmare for curly hair especially during the summer months)
- Leaves hair smooth, soft and manageable
- Prevents dandruff and tames frizz.
- Effective on natural or transitioning hair and it.
Looking for a recipe to make your own pomade? Click here
Our AyurGro Ayurvedic hair pomade works for all hair types wavy curly, coily and kinky natural hair. It relieves dry, itchy scalp prone to dandruff and promotes hair growth with Ayurvedic herbs and oils as well as essential oils such as rosemary, peppermint and eucalyptus that stimulate blood circulation. This pomade can be used on kids’ hair too!
Do you use pomade on your natural hair? please leave your comments below
AyurGro Ayurvedic Hair Pomade
- Works on All Hair Textures Particularly curly, kinky 4A, 4B 4C 3A-3C natural, hair transitioning, chemically processed relaxed hair, color treated hair, traction alopecia, dry scalp, split ends, chemically processed and Damaged Hair.
- Intense Moisture – Works to lock in intense moisture whilst nourishing your hair and scalp with organic oils and herbs. Will restore the shine and promote healthy, strong manageable hair. Prevents damaged, dull and weak hair strands. Helps with low porosity by giving intense moisture and will provide less hair shrinkage.
Does NOT Contain: Synthetic Ingredients, Paraben, Petroleum, Synthetic Fragrance, GMO and Phthalate Free.
PLEASE NOTE: If you live in a place with a temperature that is above 30 degrees celsius (86F) then this product may melt. Make sure to keep this product in a cool dry place. In the event that it does melt put it back in the refrigerator for 10 to 20 minutes for the product to solidify. This does not affect the quality or potency of the product itself.